Text size:

Protecting and Caring



A carer is anyone, including children and adults who look after a family member, partner or friend who needs help because of their illness, frailty, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction and cannot cope without their support. 

For many people, caring is a rewarding and positive experience, but for others, caring without the right help and support can feel overwhelming. For some people, caring can trigger feelings of loneliness and frustration and many often find their physical and emotional health, work or finances are affected.

If you need help, support or advice, you can find it on our Carers page

Your sponsor is not responsible for personal care nor supervision of any member of your household including children whilst residing in their home.

If you need to contact Adult services, the customer service centre is open Monday to Friday 8am-6pm, on 01522 782155. 


Your children

The UK takes children’s rights seriously and is always trying to improve the situation of all children.  For this reason the UK has passed a number of laws that help protect children.  Children have a right to have their views listened to and considered.  In some circumstances in the UK, children aged 14 and older have a right to make certain decisions for themselves, such as medical decisions.

As a parent you are legally responsible for the protection, care and well-being of your children.  It is a parent’s responsibility to make sure their children attend school. If you do not, there can be legal action such as: a Parenting Order, an Education Supervision Order, a School Attendance Order or a fine.  Going to school is very important for the welfare of a child. Helping out with tasks at home must not stop a child from going to school. It is an offence to leave children alone if this will put them at risk. Babies, toddlers and very young children should never be left alone.

When parents are having difficulties caring for their children, Children’s Services may be able to offer some help or advice. UK laws require Children’s Services to investigate allegations of child neglect or abuse.

Children and young people can get support about their concerns online from Childline or by calling 0800 1111.  The NSPCC website has information on preventing abuse and helping those affected to recover.


Domestic Abuse

Domestic abuse is a serious crime in the UK. Domestic abuse does not only occur between couples. It can also involve wider family members, including parental abuse by an adolescent or grown child. It can exist between older siblings, or the wider extended family.  It can affect anyone, regardless of age, social background, gender, religion, sexual orientation or ethnicity.

Domestic abuse usually occurs in the home and can take many forms:

  • physical abuse like hitting, kicking or hair pulling
  • emotional abuse like blackmail, mental torture and threats to disown a person or harm those they care about
  • controlling, for example, restricting a person’s movements or access to or contact with family or friends or preventing access to money or a chosen career
  • coercive behaviour for example threats, humiliation or intimidation that is used to harm, punish, frighten
  • it can be rape – being married or in a relationship doesn’t mean that a partner has the right to force sex against the will of the other

Domestic abuse is complex. It can go unidentified by agencies, families, friends, colleagues and even victims themselves.  If you are worried about a relationship you are in, concerned about your own behaviour towards someone or concerned about someone you know then help is available in Lincolnshire.

  • for support to women, men and children experiencing or fleeing Domestic Abuse please contact EDAN Lincs 01522 510041 or email info@edanlincs.co.uk
  • help for anyone concerned about how they might be hurting, scaring or controlling their partner or ex partner please contact ‘Make a Change’ 01522 246616
  • for support and advice outside working hours please contact the National Domestic Abuse Helpline 0808 2000 247
  • in an emergency call the Police on 999 or for a non emergency 101


Gender and sex in law

Issues related to gender and sex are taken very seriously in the UK. The law says that you cannot be discriminated against because of your sex or your gender. This means:

  • organisations, including companies and individuals in the UK have a legal duty to treat men and women equally
  • men and women have equal rights and duties in employment and in marriage and in all aspects of private and public life in the UK
  • transgender people have equal rights too


Racism and discrimination

In the UK it is illegal to treat anyone differently because of their gender, race, religion, age, disability or sexual orientation. 

Racism is unacceptable in the UK. It is a serious offence to injure, harass or verbally abuse someone because of their race or to damage their property for that reason. It is also against the law to stir up racial hatred. It is unacceptable to discriminate against another person because of their race, ethnicity or where they came from. You should not be treated any differently because of your race when applying for a job, looking for somewhere to live, using the National Health Service (NHS) or just buying something in a shop.

You should not experience racial harassment at work, school or in public (where other people make comments about your race or where you come from that are offensive or make you uncomfortable). If you or someone you know is the victim of racism.  Do not try to deal with racism or racist attackers on your own. Get the authorities involved. If you try to resolve it on your own you could get hurt or even get into trouble with the police yourself. Do tell the authorities about it.

You can go to the police. If you don’t want to walk into a police station there are many ways you can report a racist crime; for example you can do it online.


Feedback Form Sign up