Lincoln College & Newark College
We offer all 5 levels of accredited ESOL from Entry level 1 to Level 2 at both Lincoln and Newark. The Lincoln Campus has a morning, afternoon and evening option at each level, and Newark has one class per level each week.
We also offer a First Words in English course for those that we assess below Entry Level 1. This 16-week course is set to prepare students to join the E1 accredited classes.
Before a student can join the courses, an assessment will need to be arranged by emailing ESOL@lincolncollege.ac.uk.
ESOL Lincoln Flyer
ESOL Newark Flyer
Boston College currently offers four ESOL courses, including both part-time and full-time options:
ESOL Certificate (Part Time) - Boston, Spalding - January 2023: This part-time ESOL course is for you if English is not your first language. There are two options available, Speaking and Listening or Reading and Writing, from Entry 1 to Level 2. You will be assessed before you start your course to determine which level is most suitable for you. Studying is flexible at a choice of locations and times.
Introduction to IELTS - Boston - Monday 20th February 2023: This short course is for adult learners who have English as a second language and wish to develop their reading, writing, and speaking skills. You will be introduced to the basic elements of the IELTS examination and practice a range of exam strategies. You will have a short English Language assessment prior to enrolment.
Preparation for IELTS - Boston - Thursday 23rd February 2023: Preparation for IELTS focuses on the English language skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening. This 15-week course reflects on the academic language used for academic study or training purposes while in the UK.
ESOL (Full Time) - Boston - September 2023: The ESOL course is designed for learners who have not previously attended school or college in England and do not possess the level of language skills necessary to access education and training. The course includes English, maths, ICT and vocational skills to help you to progress to further study at Boston College.
IELTs is the world’s most popular English language test and is recognised worldwide. On completion, learners should be confident to undertake their IELTS examination at a local test centre.
To find out more information and to apply online for the ESOL courses at Boston College, visit our website at www.boston.ac.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01205 313218.
Peterborough College (PE6 and PE9 postcodes only)
Face to face courses:
- Part time day ESOL courses - 7 hours a week across mornings/afternoons (speaking and listening / writing / reading).
- Part time evening ESOL courses - 4 hours a week across 2 evenings (speaking and listening / writing / reading).
All part time courses are working towards a Pearson Edexcel Award and Certificate.
We also have full time classes available for 16–18 year olds.
Digital offer from April 2022:
- Study from home in your own time, using our course websites, featuring interactive online lessons with all work monitored and marked by the tutor
- Dedicated tutor for live, online 1-1 feedback, speaking practice and exam preparation
- Short, 8-week intensive courses: Speaking & Listening, Reading and Writing
- Year-round start dates: August / October / January / April
- All Digital courses are working towards a Pearson Edexcel Award and Certificate
- Suitable for Level 1 - Level 2 learners (new levels being added for 2023)
- Access to all college support services
JobSmart satellite centre - Peterborough City Centre:
- ESOL for Work - non-accredited 11 or 12 week courses starting w/c 12 Sept (also at the start of Jan and start of April).
- Part time accredited Speaking & Listening classes start w/c 12 Sept.
After assessment, students will be put in classes that suit their levels.
Applications for all of the above courses can be made through the Peterborough College website:
Taster courses will lead on to Conversational English or English for Speakers of Other Languages courses, depending on the starting point of each learner. Initial Assessments will take place to guide the learners to the course that most adequately suits their needs and requirements.
If you would like to discuss further provision of courses in the Boston, Mablethorpe, Skegness or Louth area, contact Julie Mitchell, tel: 01205 360800.
Adult Skills and Family Learning Service (LCC)
The non-accredited courses that we are offering for adults 19+ in 2022 are:
- Essential English for ESOL learners (Entry Level/ Levels 1 & 2)
You may be eligible to apply for childcare or travel costs to enable you to attend our courses.
To find out more and check if there are any courses near you, please contact:
Kate.Maltby@lincolnshire.gov.uk - for Boston, South Holland and South Kesteven courses
Anita.Pritchard@lincolnshire.gov.uk - for Lincoln, North Kesteven, West and East Lindsey courses
Or visit our website: www.2aspire.org.uk for more information.
If our courses are fully booked or we do not have a course available in your area, we will try to signpost you appropriately to another organisation or group offering ESOL provision.
English lessons - Louth Library
Thursdays: 2.5 hour morning session for anyone wanting to learn English (provided by ITEX Boston)
Wednesdays and Fridays: 1 hour sessions for non-English speakers - 'Survival English'. TESOL trainers with translators.
These informal classes lead to entry level 1 and 2 at college and can be followed by entry level 3 and upwards at either college or learning centre for those wishing to obtain formal qualifications.
Contact Ken (EL Area of Sanctuary) - Tel: 01507 607724, 07957 739600
Or email: Karen.email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lincoln City Foundation
Lincoln City Foundation is keen to reach out to those arriving from Ukraine. The foundation has a track record of providing community-based support, welcoming and signposting people into the county through sports and football. The foundation is also (subject to funding) able to offer English as an additional language. For further information, please contact Martin Hickerton by email at: email@example.com
From September 2022 on Thursday afternoons during term time we plan to run an ESOL Café at the Alive Church in Lincoln where refugees and immigrants can come and practice speaking English, socialise and take part in a variety of activities.
Location: Alive Church, Newland, Lincoln LN1 1XG
Tel: 01522 542166
Learning English - Apps
- BBC Learning English: All the BBC Learn English lessons and activities in an app.
- Duolingo: Free app, very easy and fun to use. Suitable for adults or children.
- Rosetta Stone: You can pay for a premium version of this but if you just click ‘no thanks’ and on the cross to close down when it asks you to subscribe, there are lots of free 10 minute lessons for beginners to intermediate.
- Memrise: Lots of free vocabulary, listening and matching games. The app is free, just click ‘maybe later’ when it asks if you want to buy the paid version.
- Drops: Good for vocabulary, a fun app with memory games. Free if you don’t subscribe, just click on the cross to close when it asks if you want to upgrade.
Learning English - Podcasts
Learning English - Websites (Beginners/Pre-Entry Level)
Learning English - Websites (Intermediate Level)
Learning English - Websites (Advanced Level)