Text size:

Health and Emergency Services

How the NHS works: infographic - Ukrainian (doctorsoftheworld.org.uk)

How the NHS works: infographic - Russian (doctorsoftheworld.org.uk)

How the NHS works: infographic - English (doctorsoftheworld.org.uk)

GP surgeries

You need to register with a GP surgery as soon as possible. You can decide where to register. It is usual to choose a GP surgery close to where you are living. Your GP is usually your first contact if you have a health problem. They can treat many conditions and give health advice. They can also refer you to other specialist NHS services. Find a GP on the NHS website



Located in many towns, qualified healthcare professionals can offer clinical advice and over-the-counter medicines for a range of minor illnesses, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains. This is also where you can get prescriptions once issued by the GP. Find your local pharmacy on the NHS website



Some dentists offer NHS treatment and private treatment. You should try to register with a dentist as an NHS patient, although places are limited and may not be close to where you live. Inform them if you are in receipt of benefits as checks and some treatments may be free, other treatments are payable. Find a dentist on the NHS website.


Mental health support for guests

We recognise that hosts and guests may need help understanding how to access healthcare services and in particular mental health services, and thought it might be helpful to highlight a few routes:

  1. Via a GP practice: NHS mental health services in Lincolnshire are provided by Lincolnshire Partnership Foundation Trust (LPFT). GP surgeries will offer Ukrainian guests an initial health check; this will also include additional screening questions to identify if any further mental health support is required. GPs are available to speak to about mental health issues, and there are some mental health services that can only be accessed following a GP referral.
  2. Self-referral: There are some mental health services in Lincolnshire that residents can self-refer to (it is helpful to still be registered with a GP though): Steps2Change and Shine Lincolnshire offer mental health services for adults. Healthy Minds Lincolnshire is a mental health service for children. There may also be support available to children through their school.
  3. NHS UK website: The main NHS website has a How you can access NHS mental health services page where you can search for services available in your locality. This will loop back to some of the services mentioned above, but it should provide a comprehensive list of what can be accessed via the NHS in Lincolnshire.
  4. Other Mental Health services: If you do not want to talk to a GP, there are other organisations that offer helplines to talk confidentially to a trained advisor. Some of them offer translation or interpreter services. Please see the national Homes for Ukraine guest and sponsor guidance for further details.
H.A.Y. Lincolnshire 

How Are You (H.A.Y.) Lincolnshire is a family of websites that brings together everything in the local community that boosts wellbeing.

Connecting with others, getting active, learning a new skill, being creative, seeking professional support, exploring the outdoors, volunteering – all of these things (and more) can improve our wellbeing. However, it isn’t always easy to know what is out there locally or to feel comfortable trying something new.

From yoga to singing, sports clubs to arts groups, or perhaps somewhere to talk or get a cup of tea, H.A.Y. Lincolnshire brings you ideas of local things to do to get a wellbeing boost, plus a wide range of local professional support. Visit the H.A.Y. Lincolnshire website to find out more.


Free Ukrainian and Russian Translations of Trauma and PTSD Psychoeducational Resources

The website ‘Psychology Tools’ has translated a selection of trauma psychoeducation resources into Ukrainian and Russian, making them available for free for everyone to download and use. Visit the ‘Psychology Tools’ website to view the resources.


Five ways to good mental wellbeing

Learn more about five ways to good mental wellbeing on the poster below, available in English, Ukrainian and Russian. Alongside various tips, the poster also links to a range of support services available to Lincolnshire residents. 

Five ways to good mental wellbeing - English

Five ways to good mental wellbeing - Ukrainian

Five ways to good mental wellbeing - Russian


Emergency or urgent services

For acute emergency illness that cannot wait until GP surgery opening hours, telephone 111 for advice, or visit online. If you have an emergency, needing immediate medical assistance as someone’s life may be at risk, telephone 999 for an Ambulance. Find your local Accident and Emergency department


Emergency Services

The UK emergency services ensure public safety and health, and available 24/7. Police, Fire and Ambulance can all be contacted in an emergency situation on the same number, 999. 

  • police - if a serious offence is in progress or in immediate danger – telephone 999
  • ambulance - if someone’s life is at risk – telephone 999
  • fire and rescue - if there is a fire – telephone 999


Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue

In addition to emergency assistance, our teams can help with non-emergency assistance such as home safety advice, safe and well checks, smoke alarm advice. More information can be found on the home fire safety webpage. 


Lincolnshire Police

The Police in the UK are there to protect the public, their rights and the law.  The Police are there to help, you should not be afraid to approach them if you are a victim of a crime or see a crime happening.  Their role is to:

  • protect life and property
  • prevent public disturbances
  • prevent and detect crimes

We want Lincolnshire to be the safest place to live, work and visit, and for everyone in our communities to be free from harassment and fear.  We hope this will be your experience during your stay in Lincolnshire. We work with partners to reduce crime and improve the safety of people and the communities they live and work in.  Our officers are friendly and approachable, so please talk to them if you need to. 

If you do need to report a crime:


Urgent social care services (Lincolnshire County Council)

The welfare of you and your family is important to us, if you are in need of urgent assistance please note:

  • Adult Social Care –urgent social care intervention that cannot wait until the next working day: 01522 782155
  • Adult Safeguarding – where an adult may be experiencing abuse or neglect. Please note: If you believe a crime has been committed or there is an immediate risk of danger, call the police on 999 or 101
  • Children’s Services – immediate and significant risk of harm: 01522 782111, or if outside normal working hours: 01522 782333
Domestic Abuse

Domestic abuse is a serious crime in the UK. Domestic abuse does not only occur between couples. It can also involve wider family members, including parental abuse by an adolescent or grown child. It can exist between older siblings, or the wider extended family.  It can affect anyone, regardless of age, social background, gender, religion, sexual orientation or ethnicity.

Domestic abuse usually occurs in the home and can take many forms:

  • physical abuse like hitting, kicking or hair pulling
  • emotional abuse like blackmail, mental torture and threats to disown a person or harm those they care about
  • controlling, for example, restricting a person’s movements or access to or contact with family or friends or preventing access to money or a chosen career
  • coercive behaviour for example threats, humiliation or intimidation that is used to harm, punish, frighten
  • it can be rape – being married or in a relationship doesn’t mean that a partner has the right to force sex against the will of the other

Domestic abuse is complex. It can go unidentified by agencies, families, friends, colleagues and even victims themselves.  If you are worried about a relationship you are in, concerned about your own behaviour towards someone or concerned about someone you know then help is available in Lincolnshire.

  • for support to women, men and children experiencing or fleeing Domestic Abuse please contact EDAN Lincs 01522 510041 or email info@edanlincs.co.uk
  • help for anyone concerned about how they might be hurting, scaring or controlling their partner or ex partner please contact ‘Make a Change’ 01522 246616
  • for support and advice outside working hours please contact the National Domestic Abuse Helpline 0808 2000 247
  • in an emergency call the Police on 999 or for a non emergency 101
Racism and discrimination

In the UK it is illegal to treat anyone differently because of their gender, race, religion, age, disability or sexual orientation. 

Racism is unacceptable in the UK. It is a serious offence to injure, harass or verbally abuse someone because of their race or to damage their property for that reason. It is also against the law to stir up racial hatred. It is unacceptable to discriminate against another person because of their race, ethnicity or where they came from. You should not be treated any differently because of your race when applying for a job, looking for somewhere to live, using the National Health Service (NHS) or just buying something in a shop.

You should not experience racial harassment at work, school or in public (where other people make comments about your race or where you come from that are offensive or make you uncomfortable). If you or someone you know is the victim of racism.  Do not try to deal with racism or racist attackers on your own. Get the authorities involved. If you try to resolve it on your own you could get hurt or even get into trouble with the police yourself. Do tell the authorities about it.

You can go to the police. If you don’t want to walk into a police station there are many ways you can report a racist crime; for example you can do it online.

Feedback Form Sign up